The binational Great Lakes-St. Lawrence Seaway System website is an informative resource to learn more about the Seaway, including information about the commercial shipping, recreational boating, and navigating the Seaway!
Other Interesting Facts about the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence Seaway (the "Highway H2O"):
- Opened to deep draft navigation in 1959
- Distance from the Atlantic Ocean to Duluth, Minnesota via Lake Superior is 2,038 nautical miles and takes 8.5 sailing days
- Since 1959, more than 2.5 billion tons of cargo (estimated at $375 billion!) have moved to and from the Canada, the United States, and 50+ other nations
- Almost 25% of Seaway traffic travels to and from overseas ports, especially in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa
- Includes some of North America's largest ports
- Has maintained a near-perfect record of trouble-free navigation through ongoing improvements and meticulous maintenance for more than 50 years
- Is of strategic geographic importance: directly serves Ontario, Quebec, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, New York, and Pennsylvania!